Sunday, February 11, 2007

Noah's progress

Ok, so this is a tow for. It is a progress report and a Grandma's quilt post.

I don't remember whether I have ever explained this before. So forgive me if I am repeating myself.

In explanation.... I work on many projects at once. There will be a Grandma quilt in progress, a history related quilt (2 at this time), a quilt of my design or contemporary quilt, a small quilt (such as a wall hanging) ( 3 of these in progress right now) and another quilt related project (like pillows, ministerial stoles, etc). My progress is slowed even further by only having 2 to 4 hours a week to quilt.

So this is the Grandma quilt that I have in progress. She started this quilt in the late 40's. I'm not sure but I think I remember her working on it in the early 50's when I was very, very small. It is basically a red work pattern but she did it in other colors. The white muslin (actually, bleached flour sack material) have Noah's animals embroidered on them.

In between the animals are Arks of red and white on blue waves embroidered on squares of that 30's green. Not the nice Nile green but the one that fades out to an icky yellow with age.

At the top and bottom of the quilt is a row of Arks. When I found the quilt top it was all together except the bottom row. When I sewed all of the Arks together for bottom, I was missing one. So I used muslin and embroidered my Grandmother's name and the year about when it was pieced.

As you can see I bast with safety pens. That is the safest way for me as my Fur baby helps .

I chose a blue fabric with white hearts on it for the backing. The blue matches the blue in the embroidery. I have sense found an "Aunt Grace" 1930's repo blue for the binding.

I am in my 3rd winter of hand quilting this quilt. I am stitching in the ditch and to stabilize each square I am stitching at the edge of some of the embroidery lines. I am about 4/5 of the way done. Hopefully this will be my last winter of quilting it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Test

Paula, the quilter said...

Hi Rae, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. You need to go to "Edit Profile" in your blog and check the little box by the "show my email". In fact make sure your email is there in the places it needs to be. The 'beta' blogger seemed to uncheck that box for some odd reason. *shrug*

I haven't read that book yet but I'll let you know what I think of it when I do.

This quilt is very reminiscent of one my Auntie made in the Depression. I set the embroidered (flower) blocks exactly like this but I had to use some Aunt Grace's reproduction fabric. I hand quilted it and now it resides on the back of the sofa in her den.