Sunday, February 04, 2007

Progress report

It is about time for a progress report on my Mother's 95 birthday quilt. I am further than this but not so far as to show pictures.

I know it is a very simple beginning. It measures 12" by 12" at this point. The green around the log cabin is for the fields around the log cabin on the homestead in Idaho where she was born.

The passage in the story that goes with the green fields is: "The homestead was in a little Valley. A Stream ran along one side. Papa had an area of one pasture fenced off to make a pig pen. There was a well next to the cabin. Papa built a rock wall around the spring which dammed up the water as it trickled out of the hill."

My next bit is my fur baby Sherbert. Not only all boxes are his but almost any basket that should wonder into his kingdom. This basket is about 10" by 12". No he doesn't fit. But he has clsmed it.

As you can see, when he tries to lay down the basket rolles on to its side. He doesn't care. It is still his to sleep in.

What was in this basket was one of my Grandmother's quilts that was under construction. I don't think she liked it much because it was just waded up in a ball in the basket along with a lot of scraps. When I first unwaded it I didn't like it much either. It looked to be somewhere around 30" by 30", dingy, & musty. I decided to handwash and iron it. As it hung, dripping out side, I recognized the over all pattern. Many years ago I saw a picture of a depression era quilt from the Ozarks. When I ironed it the size grew to about 45" by 45". Each square is just over 1".

By the way, I like it very much now. Another quilt from Grandma that I get the honor to finish.

I will show more on this little gem in a later blog.

1 comment:

Patti said...

What a marvelous little quilt! I can hardly wait to see it finished.