Saturday, January 13, 2007

Butterflies


You all have meet my other Grandmother, Minnie Thorp. However this is my other Grandmother, Eden Powell. She was a lovely, little English lady but she had a hard working, stern side also. How I remember her is as she was in the picture to the left.

A little about her: She was a mail order bride from England in 1900. Her husband to be was a farmer/rancher in Utah who had 8 children by his 1st wife who had died in child birth of their 9 child. Grandma raised those 8 children and the 8 that she had. My Father was the youngest.
She past away 50 years ago when I was 6 so my memory of her is not really strong.

You may ask why I am telling you about her. Well I want to show you 1 of the 2 quilt pieces that I have of her's.

It is a 1930 style Butterfly done in Feed sack material.

She did it in 1951 as is indicated to the right of the butterfly in embroidery. Also embroidered is her name in her own hand.

Now I want to tell you a strange story. I have long wanted to do a butterfly quilt in 19030/40 style. I use to not know what material I wanted to use. I started looking for butterfly patterns. I downloaded some 1930/40 style patterns from the internet, bought some, etc.

Jump to the present. As I may have mentioned, I have been helping clean out my Moms house. In the process I have found over 20 of my Grandmother's quilts. That is Grandmother, Minnie Thorp. That means finished quilts, tops, block sets, and blocks in progress. Well this is one bundle of blocks I found. My butterflies with a flair.

The Pink and Black one is made of 1920's material.

The others are 4 of 10 blocks. These ones are made of 1930's fabric.

I like Grandma Thorp's embroidery. It is not too visible in these pictures.

Please forgive the wrinkles. I didn't want to iron them until I had time to rinse them by hand.

So my UFO pile grows.






6 comments:

Patti said...

What a treasure! You are so very fortunate to have found these. It will give you such pleasure to work on them as you'll feel the connection to both grandmothers I'm sure.

Paula, the quilter said...

I'm going to echo Patti here. Such a treasure! I have an affinity for quilts, tops, blocks from that age. I seem to attract them. But I haven't ever found a butterfly one.

Sweet P said...

I agree with Patti and Paula too . . . what a wonderful treasure to find, especially since it belonged to your grandmother. I'll be watching to see what becomes of those lovely butterflies.

Helen said...

I took up your invitation and visited your blog. What a wonderful treasure to find. You are one blessed quilter. Thanks for sharing them with us.

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great find! I remember having a butterfly quilt when I was a child. Have fun with them.
Sio

Lucy said...

OOhhh 5this is fantastic.. You found a treasure !!