Thursday, January 25, 2007

Butterfly Flutterby

This is the 4th time I have tried this blog. Sometimes I HATE blogger.

Well on with my blog.

Have you ever read one of those stories about how some one found a gold mine of patterns and clippings from their Grandmother or Great Grandmother. Whenever I read one of those articles I drool and become rather envious.

Just recently I read one of those stories. The article told how this lady had been cleaning the old family home in preparation for sale. The lady found a box of newspaper clippings. The clippings were quilting patterns and pictures. As I sat reading and drooling I tried to imagine what it would be like to find one of those stashes. Right, not me. The article went on to tell how the lady's Grandmother had drafted patterns from the clippings. As I read this I thought about my Grandmother's patterns of which I had ever seen but 2 or 3. Maybe that is how my Grandmother got her patterns. That is to say, drafting patterns from pictures of patterns.

Well guess what. It turns out I am one of those lucky people. As we clean out my Mother's house we find quilts, quilt tops and quilt blocks and parts. NOW we have also found 3 notebooks where my Grandmother had glued clippings of quilt patterns and pictures of quilt patterns from the newspaper. The clippings ranged from the 1920s to the 1950s. In the box where the notebooks were there was a lot more clippings. I have not gone through them yet.

As to how I would feel ... Like I just found the pirates enchanted treasure. About whether Grandma drafted patterns from the pictures. Yu betcha. There were small drafting of some of the pictures.

Woo hoo.

Now for the reason I offer these clippings. After my last postings I got a remark from a person that liked vintage quilts but had never seen a butterfly quilt or pattern. So I thought that these would be the first that I would share of these patterns.

I will try to draft some of these patterns but don't hold your breath. First I want to draft the pattern of the butterfly in the blocks that we found in my Grandmother's room, the ones I shared in my last post. I will be sharing more of these patterns though. As and when I do draft any of these patterns I will share them on my posts.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Lucky you with all those patterns. Having just finished a butterfly quilt I am especially interested in the butterfly patterns.

Paula, the quilter said...

Thank you for sharing the butterfly patterns. I like the one that looks like it is based on a wedding ring arc. Hmmmm...

Lucy said...

Absolutly a thrill !! Lucky you :-)

mereth said...

I can't imagine how wonderful it must feel connecting to your grandmother through her old patterns.I bet she loved looking through them and planning her projects just like we do.I'm sure you'll treasure them well.