Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mae's Quilt

This is my Mom about 3 years ago.

On the right is a picture of her at a Christmas Party this year at the home of our long time friends.


What does that have do with quilting, you ask. Well this summer will be her 95th birthday.

I know that is a long way off. But not when a quilt is being made for her birthday.

Around the middle of Nov I woke up one morning with my Mom's life in a quilt in my mind. I couldn't get it out of my mind until I had it sketched out. I thought that I would be able to let it slip away or to the back burner then. WRONG!!! It just kept forming more clearly in my mind.
I decided to really think about it. Well August is quit a ways away. If I had others(Cousins, Sister, Friends) help, it might just work. I have one cousin who quilts beautifully. I can give her an idea and dominations and let her run with it. Her daughter is a neophyte in the quilt world but she may like to do some also. Well, you've got the idea. So I talked to one cousin (sews and likes needle crafts, but is not a quilter). That was around the first or second week in Dec. She was jazed by the idea. Next thing I know I am hearing from 2 second cousins. They want to do some. To make a long story not so long- 6 or 7 people besides myself are working on this quilt. When it is done I will have to give them each a copy of the story that goes with the Quilt.
So this is the first block.

The story that goes with this block is:

"Papa & Mama lived in a log cabin on a homestead in Idaho. That log cabin on that homestead is where I was born in 1912. That log cabin was always safe and warm. It was warm both in warmth and love. "

So over the next some months I will be showing the growth of the quilt. I will try to give credit to each of the quilters. I will also share the stories that go with the quilt.



I thought I would share a Christmas picture with you all. I know that Christmas is past but as I didn't get to share with you then I thought I could now.

My little Santa's helper helping wrap presents.


3 comments:

Joyce said...

Your mom looks amazing for being 95! My dad is 93 and is also doing fine, but he can't see very well and finds that very frustrating because he always loved to read. THese days he has to listen to the radio instead. Are you writing the story on each block? I couldn't tell from the photo.

Sweet P said...

You have a wonderful plan in place. I'll be watching for stories about the quilt.

Angie said...

I just found your blog, and I'm soooo glad that I did! No way does your Mom look 94!!! She looks wonderful! :D I'll be popping back in to visit as I added you to my Bloglines.
Angie
www.threadcatcher.blogspot.com